All good things come to an end. Today was our final show (touch wood) from the beloved RDUnit. Thank you RDUnit. You will be sorely missed.
Hard to believe we’ve been broadcasting from a converted horse truck for almost 4 years now.
How did it all begin?
As a consequence of the 22 February 2011 earthquake RDU was no longer able to broadcast from its premises in the University of Canterbury Students’ Association building on the Ilam campus. An automated playlist ran for several months while plans were hatched.
On Saturday 9 July 2011, after what seemed like a lifetime of aftershocks, the RDUnit was revealed to the world in a launch party at C4 on Tuam Street. It was a mean party too. Have a look at the poster.
Our first show from the RDUnit was 23 July 2011 when the RDUnit was parked at the Colombo/Wordsworth intersection in Sydenham. It was strangely reassuring to watching traffic go past and having people drop in. It was also good to see life carry on after such traumatic events. We needed that after not having our usual creative outlet for five months.
After a while the RDUnit moved to a yard round the corner on Hawdon Street. Surrounded by barbed wire, iron fences, warehouses and workshops it sure felt like being on the set of Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels or Snatch.
And then the RDUnit moved to its current location, a residential backyard in central Christchurch. There’s something quite nice about having a lawn, a garden, trees and old villas just outside a studio.
From 1 May 2015 RDU will be broadcasting from a fresh new space in the ArtBox precinct on the Madras/St Asaph corner (across the road from CPIT).
During the show we talked about Mexrrissey – Mexico Goes Morrissey happening Saturday night at the Barbican in London. We won’t be able to get there in time but the Herb Whisperer is curious to know if The Smith’s lyrics will be lost in translation. Luckily Google Translate can shed some light on matters. For example, some of the delightful lyrics for “Ask”:
- English: “…buck toothed girl in Luxembourg…”
- Spanish: “…dientes de conejo chica en Luxemburgo…”
Don’t believe us? Have a listen for yourself…
And here’s the playlist in full…
Direct download: The_Joint_2015-04-25-12-14.mp3
12pm – 1pm
- Editions Haighton – Void People
- Tobias Schmidt – Antimatter
- Matias Aguayo – Tomada
- Yuzo Koshiro – Go Straight
- Kupa – Guacamayas
- Jeremy Wells – Like Mike Hosking Rant – April 24 2015
- Thee Oh Sees – Withered Hand
- Kelvin Hurts – Females ** NZ **
- The Trendees – Centre of Town **NZ**
- Redred – Ghetto (feat. Sarkodie)
- Tyler, The Creator – SMUCKERS
- Rihanna – James Joint
- Run The Jewels – Bust No Moves
1pm – 2pm
- Mexrrissey – Ask
- Pins – Young Girls
- Ava Luna – Coat Of Shellac
- Say Lou Lou – Games for Girls (feat. Lindstrøm)
- SSCK – Tiefaly
- Christian Löffler – York
- Trailblazer – Magic Hour
- Phono Ghosts – When We Were Fifteen
- Unknown Mortal Orchestra – Like Acid Rain **NZ**
- Lowlife – Dream Machine
- MNDR – Lock & Load (feat. Killer Mike)
- L’Orange & Jeremiah Jae – Ignore the Man to Your Right (feat. Homeboy Sandman)
ANZAC Day Podcast Bonus