So there I was sifting around some for some classic Yello tracks (didn’t want to play the obvious tracks “Oh yeah” or “The game”) and then I found this gem “Bostich” from 1980 (not 1979 like I said on the show). I’m dead certain that Mark Moore flogged that bassline riff for “Theme from S’Express”. Crazy stuff.
The Herb Whisperer is wondering why he introduced the Dressla song as Instruktah D. Still, what about that Sage Francis song?
And a warning about band names – be careful what you call yourself…
We didn’t set out to play bands with rude words in their names – eg: Holy F*ck, F*kkk Offf, but luckily no K*nt and The Gang – but sometimes those are the cards you’re dealt.
The story about Canadian band Holy Fuck ruffling the Canadian government’s tory feathers really did happen (though it possibly wasn’t the main cause of the cancellation of the PromArt program)…
In August 2008, the Ottawa Citizen and others reported that the ruling federal Conservatives had issued a talking points memo regarding the cancellation of the PromArt program, funding international promotional tours by Canadian artists.
The memo justified the cancellation on the grounds that its recipients included, among other notables, “a rock band that uses an expletive as part of its name”, apparently referring to Holy Fuck.
The band took offense at this suggestion. In an interview, the band said regarding their name: “It’s been pretty annoying, but it’s gotten us a lot of publicity, so we can’t complain about that.”
What with NZ artists enjoying a relatively positive funding run (or gravy train) during the term of the fifth Labour government (1999-2008) there was concern when National came back into power that the funding would dry up. The Nats are prolly too busy with planning mining in national parks and faking tax cuts but if you’re starting a new band and want some NZ on Air funding you might ruin it for everyone else if you call yourself “John Key is a C*nt” or “Bill English s*cks Donkey Balls”. We’d buy your record though.
- Tories to cancel PromArt (8 August 2008)
- Don’t blame us for Tory arts cuts says Toronto band (12 August 2008)
- Friends of Canadian Broadcasting: PM defends Tory track record on arts (27 August 2008)
- There are literally 100 reasons not to vote for Harper’s Conservative Party… but you may only need one: Reason 51 – PromArt Program Cancelled
Here’s the playlist in full…
12pm – 1pm
- LCD Soundsystem – Pow pow
- Alfredo de la Fe – Hot to trot
- Yello – Bostich
- Dressla – Bomb their circles
- Pink Priest – Field of orgasms
- Mount Kimbie – Serged (FaltyDL remix)
- Ikons – Slow light
- Holy Fuck – Lucky
- Ski Beatz – Prowler 2 (featuring Jean Grae, Jay Electronica, Joell Ortiz & Mos Def)
- Jah Wobble – Get Carter
1pm – 2pm
- Paris Angels – All on you (perfume)
- Housse de Racket – Oh yeah! (We Love Machines remix)
- Kurt Vile – Invisibility: Nonexistent
- J-Dubs – Jack’s interlude **NZ**
- J-Dubs – Pages **NZ**
- J-Dubs – Got that **NZ**
- J-Dubs – Buttajazz reprise **NZ**
- Everything Everything – MY KZ, UR BF (Delphic remix)
- Fukkk Offf – Utopia (original mix)
- Allure – Paradis
- Booka Shade – Divine
- Scuba – So you think you’re special
2pm – 3pm
- Over The Atlantic – We’re all ghosts
- The Soft Pack – Answer to yourself (Newton live session)
- Ariel Pink’s Haunted Graffiti – Butt-house blondies
- Flight – State trooper
- LCD Soundsystem – You wanted a hit
- The Fall – Y.F.O.C. / slippy floor
- Flying Lotus – Drips / Auntie’s harp
- Sage Francis – Best of times
- Tommy Ill – Keep your receipts **NZ**
- Minks – Funeral
Alternatively, this is the raw, unpasteurized version of the show in mp3 format. No chapters, pictures or links. Otherwise the audio content is the same as the three m4a files above. The choice is yours…..