Gah! And that was a real self-loathing Stewie Griffin style “gah”. I can’t believe that I just used the term “funky”. Makes me sound like a middle-aged middle-manager at a shitty office party that no one wanted to attend. The Herb Whisperer would have kicked my arse if he had been here. So let’s just pretend that I used the term “the funk” instead, okay?
So why the funk and retro? Well, there wasn’t a huge amount of it to be honest but during times of recession and long winters it’s good to dig through the record collection for a bit of inspiration hence the stone cold classics from Funky Four Plus One‘s (the epic “That’s The Joint” (the which inspired the name of this show) and The JBs (for a high speed funk workout).
But the point I’m getting to is that if you’re feeling a bit down and don’t mind falling into the fatal trap of shopping to make yourself feel better then you can’t go wrong by buying cheap second hand records. Especially from places like Galaxy Records where I scored mint copies of Blondie‘s “Autoamerican” (1980), Malcolm McLaren‘s “Duck Rock” (1983), and Stu and The Lads “Nice One Stu” (1976). Cheers Dave !!!
And here’s today’s playlist in full…
12pm – 1pm
- John Talabot – Sunshine (original mix)
- Funky Four Plus One – That’s the joint
- Joe and Will Ask? – Mongozo
- The JBs – Tighten up
- Original Tropicana Steel Band – Funky Abbey Road
- Air France – No excuses
- Air France – No way down
- Air France – Windmill weddings
- Mikkel Metal – Kenton
- Max Keiser and Stacy Herbert – Excerpt from The Truth About Markets 1 August 2009
1pm – 2pm
- The Horrors – Sea within a sea
- A Place To Bury Strangers – Keep stepping away
- The Gordons – Spik and span
- The xx – Shelter
- The Shocking Pinks – You can make me feel bad
- The Field – The move that I do
- Blondie – Rapture
- Malcolm McLaren – Buffalo gals
- Stu and The Lads – Chopper
- Fujiya & Miyagi – Lightbulbs
PS: Limited service today. 12-2pm only today sorry.