We admit that the pun for this week’s show title came first and we then frantically tried to base a playlist around it. Very much a cart-before-the-horse scenario.
It proved to be a good excuse for our biennial trawl through the Cocteau Twins back catalogue, cover versions and all. This included finding a surprising take on “Wax & Wane” by Deftones, which narrowly failed to make the cut in today’s set.
The remainder of the spoken word clips are taken from On The Media’s “Spheres Of Influence” which takes a dive into “conspirituality” and the rise of pastel QAnon.
And on with the show…
Direct download: The Joint – 3 October 2020
Notebooks out completists, here’s the playlist in full…
- SAINT SEVERIN – The Knife (Original Mix)
- OBSKÜR – Bayside
- SPELLLING – Under The Sun
- TAME IMPALA – Borderline (Blood Orange Remix)
- OPEN MIKE EAGLE – I’m A JoeStar
- BOLDY JAMES X JAY VERSACE – Bentayga
- E L L E – Catfish
- GOAT GIRL – Sad Cowboy
- LAVA LA RUE – G.O.Y.D.
- BAT FOR LASHES – We’ve Only Just Begun
- PHELIMUNCASI – I Roof
- AMAARAE – Fancy
- JIMMY EDGAR – Get Up (featuring Danny Brown)
- SINEAD O’BRIEN – Roman Ruins
- GOOD SAD HAPPY BAD – Pyro
- JANELLE MONÁE – Turntables
- A. SWAYZE & THE GHOSTS – Connect To Consume
- SAULT – You Know It Ain’t
- JOHN MARTYN – Small Hours
- BLACK TO COMM – Stolen Androgens
- COCTEAU TWINS * – Donimo
- DOMENIQUE DUMONT – People On Sunday
- WILLIAM BASINSKI – Tear Vial
- JPEGMAFIA – Last Dance!
- NO ONE KNOWS WHO DID THIS – I’m Junk, I’m Drunk
- THE CRIBS – I Don’t Know Who I Am (featuring Lee Ranaldo)
- CLIPPING – ’96 Neve Campbell (featuring Cam & China)
- SAULT – Little Boy
- SUBP YAO – Mad And Mean (featuring Warrior Queen)
- SEBii – Play Poker
- PETER PHILIPPE WEISS – Subway (Intenta Version)
* The inspiration for this week’s lyrical heading.