A long, and possibly unnecessary, title for today’s show but it’s a title very much in keeping with how our top pop stars now like to bill themselves (and in the process ensure their share of any dollar bills generated via streaming).
Peter Robinson from Popjustice wrote about this practice in The Guardian and joined NPR for a special All Songs Considered podcast to explain in more detail.
Direct download: The Joint – 16 September 2017
And in a week where the Miss America Pageant descended into a “Nasty Woman protest” here’s the playlist in full…
- CHARLI XCX – Boys Acoustic
- DBFC – Autonomic
- CONFIDENCE MAN – Boyfriend (The Moonlandingz Demix)
- C CANE – Pied Piper Freestyle
- YASSASSIN – Mermaidistic Personality Disorder
- ARCADE FIRE – Comfort My Sleng Teng (Geoff Barrow Mix)
- JON BATISTE – Battle Hymn
- MILK DISCO – Welcome To The Milk Disco
- CAT BE DAMNED – Daydreams In A Roach Motel
Miss Texas speaks.
- CHARLOTTE GAINSBOURG – Rest
- MADLIB – 10 Summers Old
- ALVVAYS – Lollipop (Ode To Jim)
- JOHN HANCOCK III – Stay Plus
- BULLDOG EYES – Birthday
- DAYDREAM CATHEDRAL – Love My Way
- TOVE LO – Disco Tits
- MERZBOW – Kimigayo
- KARL AND THE KURBCRAWLERS – Same Day (Again)
Miss Missouri speaks.
- T.REX – Metal Guru (Book Remix) (Herb Whisperer Rub)
- MS BANKS – OMG
- JAH WOBBLE – Invaders Of The Heart: Mix 1
- KERO KERO BONITO – Rock ‘n’ Roll Star
- KRZYSZTOF KOMEDA – Lullaby (“Rosemary’s Baby” Theme)
- WOLVES IN THE THRONE ROOM – Mother Owl, Father Ocean
- MIND ENTERPRISES – Idol
- LADY LESHURR – Queen’s Speech Ep.1
- MISS WORLD – Put Me In A Movie
Miss North Dakota speaks.
- ZOMBY – Gasp!
- HAVAH – Al Di Fuori Del Male
- CORNERSHOP – Brimful Of Asha (Florence Ballard Mix)
- REPTALIENS – If You Want
- XX, THE – On Hold (Jamie xx Remix)
- FLUIDS, THE – Creatures
- TAYLOR SWIFT – Look What You Made Me Do (Remix) (featuring Britney Spears)
As The Joint reluctantly adapts to middle-aged life it’s heartening to see two 70ish year old brothers making angry, vibrant, catchy pop music. We reckon these might possibly be some of the best tunes of the Maels’ 50 year career.
And in this week’s edition of Lyrics Bingo match the following couplets to their respective songs:
“Ain’t left the city in months,
I guess Westfield knows what I want”
“I’m a janitor,
Oh my genitals”
“You’re a feminist until I won’t fuck you,
You’re a feminist until I talk to other guys”
Direct download: The Joint – 5 August 2017
Our respects to Super Deluxe, source of the Alex Jones and Tami Lahren cut-ups
And here’s the playlist in full…
- SPARKS – What The Hell Is It This Time?
- BLOW, THE – Get Up
- SIR ROBERT ORANGE PEEL – The Spiral Remix
- MEATBINGO – What, In Today’s World?
- FLOWDAN – Original Raggamuffin (featuring Wiley)
- GHOSTPOET – Freakshow
- SUBURBAN LAWNS – Janitor
- EVERYTHING EVERYTHING – Can’t Do
- SONICS, THE – Have Love, Will Travel
A word from Alex Jones
- PETE FIJ / TERRY BICKERS – Love’s Going To Get You
- SAYA – Cold Fire
- LOUIE RANKIN – Typewriter
- CHINO AMOBI – Blackout
- BETH DITTO – Oo La La
- JJ FAD – Anotha Ho
- KOKOKO! – L.O.V.E.
- SWEET BABOO – Pink Rainbow
- BREAKFAST MUFF – R U A Feminist
A word from Tami Lahren
- DJ SHADOW – Horror Show (featuring Danny Brown)
- SUZI WU – Teenage Witch
- SYLVAN ESSO – The Glow
- DIZZEE RASCAL – Wot U Gonna Do?
- STEVE SPIFFLER vs DAVID LYNCH – RR Vol 1 – 1 vs Pena
- CHARLI XCX – Boys
- ALVVAYS – Dreams Tonite
- FRANKIE ROSE – Red Museum
- DESIIGNER – Outlet
A grunt from Alex Jones
- A. G. COOK – Windowlicker
- PATIENCE – White Of An Eye
- ANDREW HUNG – Say What You Want
- WARM DIGITS – Better Friction (featuring Mia La Metta)
- ANNIE & THE AEROPLANES – A Million Zillion Miles
- HERE LIES MAN – Belt Of The Sun
- D.A.F. – Der Mussolini (Giorgio Moroder & Denis Naidanow Remix)
- SPARKS – Edith Piaf (Said It Better Than Me)
There’s a magnificent run of rhymes in the Davis song “Levert” we played today – sutures, computer, luger, Krueger, cougar, tutor, tumour and tuna amongst others – but the one that made us take notice was:
New lease on life learning drum like Gene Krupa
Nice to hear a name check for the drummin’ man.
As a special bonus you can peer behind the curtain at the inner (inane?) workings of The Joint when we forget to turn the microphones off at the 1:41:20 mark. Will these off-air comments prove to be our Rachel Smalley moment? Strain your ears to find out.
And here’s the playlist in full…
Direct download: The_Joint_2014-05-17-12-14.mp3
12pm – 1pm
1pm – 2pm